FIRST DAY SALKANTAY TREK: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa
for the start of salkantay trek to Machu Picchu, we pick you up from your hotel at 4:30 am. to drive for approximately 3 hours to Mollepata, where we start our hike. As soon as we are in Mollepata, while having breakfast, the cook and the rider will pack all the camping equipment and things to cook and we begin our adventure by salkantay.
The first 3 hours will be a bit uphill to get to Cruzpata, where we will have lunch with panoramic views of beautiful snow-covered mountains (Humantay; 4120m / 13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m / 20575ft).
just the beginning! We will start our trek by Salkantay towards Soraypampa. our first place to camp at Salkantay Trek (3800 m / 11750ft; the highest and coldest camp of the trip) we will be very close to Cusco’s second highest mountain of Salkantay.
Day 1 data:
Total distance: 15 km (approx.) Time
estimated hike: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude: 3,800 m (approx.)
Altitude of the campsite: 3,800 m (approx.)
SECOND DAY: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Huaracmachay – Chaullay.-
After breakfast at the Salkantay Trek, we start walking around 5:30 am, because this day will be the longest day, the first 4 hours will be to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650 m / 15200 ft) located halfway between 2 great mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 mountains. There is a possibility of snow here. We walk again after lunch towards the beginning of the jungle until we reach our second Chaklay or Colcapampa camp at Salkantay Trek (3000 m / 9800 ft). After a break, we will continue our hike through a spectacular cloud forest to Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch.
Day 2 data:
: Total distance: 19 km (approx.) Time
Estimated walking time: 8 – 9 hours
Maximum altitude: 4,650 m (approx.)
Altitude of the campsite: 2,750 m (approx.)
THIRD DAY SALKANTAY TREK: Chaullay – La Playa – Lucmabamba
After breakfast, at 6.30 am, we start walking through the upper jungle crossing the Lluskamayo River and a variety of small streams to reach La Playa approximately 6 hours. Today we pass through valleys and will have wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits, plants and as soon as on the beach, the horses will return to the Salkantay route. Therefore, we will camp at Sahuayaco Beach.
Day 3 data:
: Total distance: 16 km (approx.) Time
estimated hike: 6-7 hours
Maximum altitude: 2,750 m (approx.)
Altitude of the campsite: 1,600 m (approx.)
FOURTH DAY: Lucmabamba – Llactapata – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
At 8 am we will have breakfast and leave our campsite at Lluscamayo. We walk through an original site from Inca Trail to Llactapata where you will have the opportunity to see Machu Picchu in the distance, then continue walking, passing through a variety of crops, coca, banana, etc. Until we reach the hydroelectric power station. And after lunch, we continue walking approximately two and a half hours by train until we reach the city of Aguas Calientes, where we will spend the night in a lodge.
In Aguas Calientes, you can take advantage of the city’s hot springs (entrance 10 soles) a real delight after finishing the Salkantay Trek.
Day 4 data:
: Total distance: 12 km (approx.) Time
estimated hike: 5 – 6 hours Hostel (hot waters) altitude: 1,900 m (approx.)
Maximum altitude Point: 1,600 m (approx.)
FIFTH DAY OF SALKANTAY TREK: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu
Important day of the Salkantay trek. We get up early in the morning around 4 am until 4:30 am for breakfast and leave to walk, which takes an hour and a half until Machu Picchu, but there is another option to take the first bus that leaves at 5:30 to Machupicchu (25 minutes) to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun rises.
Your Guide offers a walking tour (approximately 2 hours) and, after this, you can explore the mysterious city on your own. If you still have energy, you can also climb Huayna Picchu (8890ft)! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top. And after enjoying machupicchu, you have to lower the waters to take the train back to Ollantaytambo and then take the bus back to Cusco.
Day 5 data:
Total distance: 4 km (approx.)
Estimated walking: 1 to 2 hours
Maximum altitude: 2,700 m (approx.).
- Private Tourist Transportation To Mollepata and Extra 1 hour to Challacancha or Marqocasa to get better views and skip the dusty road
- English – Spanish speaking guide for 4 days of the Salkantay and Machupicchu.(All our Guides work for us only) All of them speak Fluent English.
- 2 Nights in Dome at SORAYPAMPA & LUCMABAMBA COFFE CAMPSITE ( Twin bed room, Matrimonial bed room, 3 beds room, 4 beds room Accomodation)
- Day 1: Soraypampa Campsite at our Geodesic dome
- Day 2: Challahuay Campsite spot
- Day 3: Lucmabamba campsite spot
- Day 4: Aguas Calientes Hotel Accomodation
- Accomodation Overnight in Aguas Calientes(Twin bed room with Private bathroom and shower) Night 3
- Return Tourist Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and car Transfer to Cusco
- Cook and assistance of the Cook.(We have chosen the best cook/cheffs and all are trained by Machu Picchu Viajes Peru every month)
- Cooking equipment (We use New cooking equipment and change all every 3 months)
- Snacks (Fruits, energy bars)
- Daily tea service (Wake up Coca tea and afternoon tea time(Happy hour) with full of popcorn and special snacks made by our cooks)
- Dining equipment including portable chairs and tables
- Food service in the campsites (3 breakfast, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, 3 snacks) – nutritionally balanced menu: Buffet style Plenty of food you will never be hungry with us! as well as Guinea Pig for free because we want you to taste all from Peru.
- Vegetarian and free Gluten menu at no extra cost (Please let us know at the time of booking)
- Transportation La Playa to Hydroelectrica Day 3 (For our Staff)
- Horseman and Horses.(To carry our camping equipment, food and 7 kilos of your personal stuff, We Never overload our Horses (well Animal Welfare). And we will Provide you a Duffel bag (at The Breifing Time) for all your personal stuff to be carried by horses.
- Salkantay Trek and Machupicchu entrance fees, valid for 4 days
- Insurance policy of life for porters and cooks.
- Visit to Machu Picchu on the 4th day (2 hours guide tour to explore the whole incan site)
- Camping equipment and basic field equipment for our cooks as well as adecuate clothing like: (Sleeping bag, Mat, Jacket, T-shirt, pant, rain poncho, shoes, hat, belts, proper backpack to carry the equipment)
- Private Transportation from the train station of Ollantaytambo to Cusco(2 hours drive) and drop off at the hotel.(we only use our Private Transportation. so you will never wait at the train station)
- First-aid kit (Our Guide will carry while on the Inca Trail) Please, note all our Guides are trained every year in first-aid)
- Emergency oxygen bottle (Our guide will carry while on the Trail)
- Pre trek Orientation – briefing A day before we do the Trek. (Hotel or Office) Let us know once you are at the office or by email.
- Water for Driking: we will supply with filtered and boiled water and your bottles will be filled at each meal time. Please, bring enough water for the 1st day.
- Extra expenses
- Breakfast – Day 1
- Lunch and dinner – Day 5
- Not detailed meals
- Tips (optional)
- Travel and health insurance.(bring copies with you please): Machu Picchu Viajes Peru highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation/interruption insurance to protect your travel investment. Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance.