Day 01: Monkey Island.
Arrival in Puerto Maldonado. Then transfer to the village in where we will get on our boat and begin the unforgettable journey through the Madre de Dios River. On the way, you could observe the alligators, turtles, herons and other animals. Arriving to the Amazon Lodge, you will enjoy of the exquisite typical welcome drink and then you will settle in our comfortable bungalows, afterwards comes lunch. With the help of our specialized guide we will visit Monkey Island. Located at only five minutes from the lodge, in the middle of the Madre de Dios river, the monkey island hosts different monkey species: starting from the noisy ones, the Maquisapas, the happy Achuñis, and the very impressive Frailes to the very little and funny “leoncitos” little lions. During the way to the Island, very beautiful landscapes are shown to the sight with all the flora and fauna that they host, as well as the amazing sunset in the jungle.
Day 02 : “Cocha Perdida” (Lost Qocha)
After breakfast we will start an adventure thought the virgin jungle, advised by a local guide; we’ll hike into the “Cocha Perdida” (Lost Cocha), it constitutes an ecosystem that is considered as a refuge of a huge variety of animals like, nutrias, caimans, turtles, sachavacas, multicolor feather birds, the majestic jaguar ( Andean lion) and fish. This area is unique and belongs to the Eco-Amazon lodge, because it is still maintained intact, like the huge swamps and a diversity of “Aguajal” forests. Then we will arrive to the amazing Amazon observatory, built at the top the biggest tree “SHIHUAHUACO”, from that location you may observe the magical jungle, and at the same time have a pleasant ride in a canoe around the lake. Then return to the lodge, lunch. Then in the afternoon a canoe ride though the river and a visit to a typical local family, then return and dinner.
Day 03: BRIOLO AND GAMITANA RIVERS
Breakfast, at the indicated time we will start another excursion across the magic jungle where we will sail though the Madre de Díos River, till to get to the beginning to a hiking trek to the rivers GAMITNA / BRIOLO; born in the heart of the virgin jungle, these two rivers with their winding ways, they form huge sailing channels then we will return by canoe, observing closely animals like, turtles, caimans, butterflies and a great variety of insects. Then we will arrive to the lodge, dinner and overnight.
Day 04: APU VICTOR LAKE
The day will start with the beautiful bird singing; then comes breakfast. We’ll start our journey with a hike to the deeps of the woods, special paths with britches to cross the gaps, during the journey we will observe the caimans cave, then we will continue and arrive to the majestic APU VICTOR LAKE, beautiful crystalline waters, surrounded by huge swamps, giant trees. Later we will climb up our AMAZON OBSERVATORY, since where we will have a panoramic view of the lake, we will observe parrots, guacamayos, toucans, camungo, shanshos, herons, and some other animals like caimans, turtles and if we are lucky enough we could observe one of the most spectacular animals of the jungle the giant nutria, then after many hours, we will return to the lodge. Lunch. Then in the afternoon we will visit Gamitana river, that is born in the heart of the jungle. In its shores we could observe turtles, caimans, butterflies and some other animals. You may have a swim in its waters, then return and dinner.
Breakfast and transfer to the airport.
• Transfer / airport / Lodge / airport.
• Complete meals.
• Lodging in typical bungalows
• Tours with specialized tourist guides.
What is not included:
What you need to bring and carry:
• Sleeping bag (can be hired from our office for US$ 15.00 for the 4 day trek)
• Sleeping mattress (we will provide you with this)
• Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco for a few dollars)
• Strong, comfortable footwear
• One complete change of clothing (you can afford to carry more changes of clothing if you hire a personal porters, see options below)
• Sweater and jacket (something warm)
• Water bottle and purification tablets (Micropur are recommended and can be bought in local pharmacies in Cusco)
• Flashlight and batteries
• Hat or cap to protect you from the sun
• Sun block (sun protection cream)
• Insect repellent
• Toiletries, towel and toilet paper
• Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits etc,
• Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries
• Swimsuit (if you plan on visiting the hot springs at Aguas Calientes after the trek – entrance not included in price)
• You also need to bring your original passport on the trail and your student ISIC card (if claiming a student discount)