We leave from Cusco at 4:00am in the morning. Arriving at Cachora town at 7:30 in the morning where we will have our breakfast. Here we will have a late breakfast, meet our wranglers and arrange our equipment on mules and horses. It is a 2 hour hike to Capuliyoc (2915m) from where we have our first beautiful views of the Apurimac valley stretching below as well as the snow-capped peaks of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora. We then descend toward Coca Masana (2330m) where the climate becomes noticeably warmer and the flora and fauna begin to change. Finally we arrive at Playa Rosalina (Rosalina Beach) at 1550m beside the raging Apurimac River where we will set up camp and spend the night.
Day 01: Cusco – Cachora – Cocamasana – Playa Rosalina
we will pick you up between 7:30 to 8.00 am, then we will leave the city seeing beautiful natural surroundings with rolling hills until we reach the town of Chinchero overlooking the Sacred Valley at about 2700 m.a.s.l. After descending this mountainside we arrive to a brief stop at Ollantaytambo where we start the 46 km. uphill to the ABRA MALAGA (Mountain Pass at 4350 m.a.s.l.) approx. at 11:00am, the starting point again to our downhill, just in case the weather be not good for riding bikes due to haze, raining or snow, we’ll go further down with the bus for about 30 more minutes to the next place being the hamlet of Carrizales where we’ll rest a bit and get lunch, after that we will descend to the hot valley of the high jungle towards QUILLABAMBA, this downhill will last about 5 hours, passing by little rustic villages, ravines, fruit groves and streams arriving in a small village (Santa Maria) where we will append our first night.
Day 02: Rosalina beach – Choquequirao
This is considered the hardest of the 5 days. After an early breakfast to climb a steep trail. It is a 5 hour hike to Raqaypata beside the Chunchullumayo River where we will have a late lunch and a much deserved rest. Along we way we will observe many orchids and wild flowers as well as many birds. From Raqaypata to Choquequirao (3035m) is a 2 hour hike. We will arrive at the archaeological site in time to enjoy the sunset and maybe the opportunity to see a Condor flying nearby. Our campsite will be just outside the ruins.
Day 03: Choquequirao – Raqaypata
Today is dedicated to exploring the incredible ruins of Choquequirao. Our guide will explain the history and importance of the site. After you will have free time to visit the many sectors of the complex. Late in the afternoon we will start the return trek and camp the night at Raqaypata
Day 04: Raqaypata – Chikisca
After breakfast we continue our return trek with a steep descent towards the Apurimac River where we will stop and have lunch. In the afternoon we will climb for approximately 4 hours to our final campsite at Coca Masana.
Day 05: Chikisca – Cachora – Cusco
Our last day of trekking. We will appreciate the canyon that forms the Apurimac River. We will take a new trail that crosses the throat of the canyon. We will have an impressive view since Wayna Qalli toward the canyon, considerate like the most spectacular in Sud America. Arriving to Cachora we wil take our bus toward Cusco.
What is included:
• Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private bus to Cachora, the starting poing of the trek
• English speaking professional guide
• Meals 4 Breakfasts / 4 Lunches / 4 Dinners
• Cook and cooking equipment
• Horsemen and horses (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
• 1 emergency horse
• Transfer to return from Cachora to Cusco
• tents: 2 people in each 3-people-capacity tents, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks.
• Mattress per person
• Dinner tent
• Toilet tent
• Kitchen tent
• Tables & seats
• Table set
• First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
What is not included:
• Breakfast on the first day
• Dinner on the last day
• Sleeping bag
• Original passport
• Use sneakers or light/tennis shoes.
• Drink plenty of fluids during your excursions.
• Raincoat (long poncho) during the rainy season.
• Long-sleeved shirts.
• Long pants.
• Insect repellent.
• Sunscreen, brimmed hat for sunny days.
• Sunglasses, plastic bags.
• Medicine and / or personal items (liquid for contact lenses).
• A backpack or lightweight suitcase (no weight limit between 5-6 kilos maximum).
• Camera or camcorder and films.
• Have on hand checks in small denominations and coins in soles or dollars.
• Bathing suit for the hot springs (optional).
What you need to bring and carry:
• A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
• Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
• Strong footwear, ideally trekking or sport shoes
• Warm clothes, including jacket, fleece and sweaters
• Flashlight and batteries
• Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
• Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain or cold
• Sun block
• Insect repellent
• Toilet paper
• Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, etc.
• Water bottle and sterilizing tablets (ie. Micropur)
• Small tonel
• Swimsuit (if you intend to go to the hot springs)
• Cash in soles and US$ (no ATM machines in Aguas Calientes)
• Original passport
• Optional: walking sticks or poles (rubber covers required)
Optional services to be hired:
• An extra horse to carry your additional personal items (above the included 9kg): A horse can carry up to 20 kg.
• Sleeping Bag rent